Thursday, September 11, 2008

Emotionally drained.....

Today, I had to go to a funeral for my 17 year old cousin, Michael Meek. I am humbled by the day right now for many reasons. The amount of teenagers that were at this service was overwhelming! There came a point in the funeral home when the pastor came to the front before the service started asking that the "kids" come to front, gather around the casket, and have a seat on the floor. Before long there was not a bare spot on the floor in the entire funeral home! The hallways were lined with all of mike's friends sitting and standing all the way out too the door! The service was very touching, the pastor had a lot of encourageing words for all of the young people there. In the sence of where they were at with God! My Grandma Meek stood up ,when the pastor asked that anyone that had someting to share about Mike to please take the time to share, she told of some fun memories she had of and with Mike, then she asked for all of the kids to raise their hands who had asked God into thier hearts, since Michaels death..... almost all of those kids raised their hand (a few days prior to the funeral all of Mike's friends held a candlelight vigil at the skate park where often hung out - the youth pastor from the church where Michael had attended was there and aked that anyonr who wanted to change the path that they were on to say a prayer with him, to ask God into their hearts)!!! I could hardly breath when I saw the flood of hands in the air! You see Mike made a fatal (sp) mistake the night he died, he was "huffing" an inhalant. His Mom found him the next morning unresponsive in his bed when his alarm kept going off! My uncle Matt, Mike's dad, said to me last night when I was home with my family that if he had to sacrifice his son to have even one other child follow christ then he was a lucky person. He definately received more than that today! It was heart wrenching to see all of those kids in so much pain. Not to mention my family, in the last 8 years we have had 4 deaths 3 of them have been sudden accidental and young deaths. We are strong and God is strong! I will follow him ,not always without question in times like this, but he is almighty and I believe that he has reasons for all things! Some day we will al know those reasons and reunited our loved ones!
Sorry if this is all over the place but that is really how my head feels right now as well! I tried to lay in bed tonight and just couldn't shut it off, so here I am pouring it all out to my blog... thanks for listening!
One more thing as if my day cannot get any worse..... after the burial, the boys and I were heading back to Holland from Hastings, I needed diapers so I stoppped at walmart in Hastings, Teagyn was in the cart, Gavyn was walking, we went back got our diapers headed to the front of the store when Gavyn was running tripped and fell, hitting his head on a shelf. I knew from the moment that Ipicked him upit was not good I pried his hand from his head and blood just came gushing out!!!! He has a very large laceration to his head . blood is going everywhere he was freaking I was running to the front of the store when i almost took this lady and her daughter out with my cart! I said, with the most pathetic face I am sure, will you please help me I need papper towels or something! She came right along with me a lady at the checkout was getting it out as soon as she saw all of the blood. I ditched my cart with the diaper box in it at the cash register. This woman followed me out to my jeep with Teagyn put him in his carseat offered to drive us to the hospital so I could hold pressure with the towel to gavyn's head I thanked her told her that I would call my Mom, as I had just left her a few minutes prior to that as we had been at a funeral for my cousin- so I knew she was still in town, I hugged her and said "God bless you for helping me" Got in my jeep and went to the ER. My mom met me there shortly after that. It was dinner time- Teagyn and Gav were hungry, we had had the longest day as it was, no naps for either of the boys, Teagyn was NOT going to sit there so my Mom said I will got to walmart with Teagyn and get you diapers-I only has 1 left! I thanked her she left and returned not even 2 minutes later with a box of diapers. You can imagine the look I gave her she couldn't have possibly gone and been back. She looked at me and said the lady that helped you at Walmart dropped these off here for you at the front desk......for the second time in one day I was breathless! I am truly blessed to have that woman's help, and I don't even know her name......

3 comments:

The VanderZwaags said...

Praying for you and your family! Also, praying that today is a better day than yesterday!!! It makes you cherish your kids even more when someone young passes away!

Erin said...

Hope your day is a little better today, and I hope Gavyn is feeling OK. Your mom told us all about it this morning, and we just felt so bad for you and the little guy! Keep your chin up!

Ethan's Mom said...

Brandi, I havn't had a chance to check your blog for several days, so sorry that I'm commenting on an "old post". I just wanted you to know that I was very touched - brought to tears in fact - by this post. I'm so glad that you can already see the good in your cousins untimely death, even though it's hard not to questions God's plan. I was moved to hear all of the young people that hopefully TRUELY accepted God into their hearts as a result.

I couldn't believe the rest of your day! Doesn't it just figure that something would happen like that after such a long a day. God was really testing you that day and you obviously passed with flying colors b/c he sent you....a box of diapers!!! (of all things, right!). Thank goodness for such a wonderful, helpful woman. Glad to hear Gavyn's doing well. Sorry to hear about the "haircut"!